Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring has sprung


I almost forgot to mention that my little one picked a bouquet of crocuses at Great Grandma's house. The first sign of spring.

I have yet to have crocuses in my yard, but I have been eyeing the variety, Vanguard. They are the first item of my fall planting list. Yes, I have already started it. White Flower Farm and Old House Gardens are great sources for heirloom flowers. The picture above is from the Old House Gardens' website.

This morning, we discovered sparrows busy at work, building their nest.
Below the bird house, there are pieces of long grass and twigs of arborvitae that did not fit.




Last year, we purchased two of these birdhouses from Hearth Song. I thought it would be a great opportunity to catch a glimpse of this amazing miracle of life. Of course, we would have to be ever so careful not to disturb the family in any way.

I like the window bird feeder, as well. I am just not fond of the seed shells and seedlings on top of my mulch.





Our pussy willows are enjoying the sunny window and are sprouting pollen. I find the shadow really interesting.

Pussy Willow
I know a pussy willow
Her fur is pearly gray
She lives down in the meadow
Not very far away
She'll always be a pussy
She'll never be a cat
For she's a pussy willow
Now what do you think of that?
Meow-meow-meow-meow-meow-meow-meow-SCAT

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin