Sunday, March 16, 2008

Quinoa - the supergrain

They say Quinoa is a "supergrain." It is highly nutritious- high in protein, includes all the essential amino acids. They mentioned to use it like rice and even in breakfast and baked goods. I thought it might be worth a try. We found it very mild, fluffy and light. It was great in our black bean soup, adding thickness and texture.  

We, also, picked up a bunch of new baking items. I have been baking a batch of muffins every week and have found some ways of packing beneficial items into our muffins without anyone knowing - flax seeds, oats, canola oil, wheat germ, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Of course, not all at the same time. I will be trying ground up quinoa in the muffins this weekend. 

My little one is enjoying on munching on raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Now, if only my husband can acquire a taste for them. They take some getting used to.  




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin